National Nursing Staff Development Organization (NNSDO)
- Developed geriatric special interest group
- Offered concurrent sessions and half-day workshops on aging at national meetings
- Published It’s All About Caring, a series of 11 monographs addressing required topics of healthcare training for caregivers in long term care
Publications and Position Statements
- Published articles with a focus on geriatric best practices in Journal for Nurses in Staff Development, the official NNSDO journal. Topics include:
- *Quality Improvement Practices: Enhancing Quality of Life During Mealtimes
- *Guidelines for Improving Resident Dining Experiences in Long-term Care Facilities
- *Documentation of Characteristics of Early Hospital Readmission of Elderly Patients: A Challenge for Inservice Educators
- *From Nursing Home to Hospital and Back Again: An Educational Program to Improve Care for Hospitalized Nursing Home Patients
- *Standing In Their Shoes: An Experiential Learning Experience in Promoting Age Sensitivity
- Published the following resources:
- *Kelly, A.M. "How to Implement a Pain Management Program."
- *Kilbride, B. & Gerstner-Horvath, M. "It's All About Caring: Key Points for Health Care Training."
- *Published articles highlighting the importance of competencies in aging for the "Geriatric Corner" in TrendLines, the association's membership newsletter. Previous articles include the Hartford Institute's "Try This: Best Practices in the Care of Older Adults" series.
Presentations, Workshops, and Seminars
- *Presented a poster on "Partners in Care: An Innovative Approach to the Transitioning Geriatric Patients Across the Continuum" at the 2001 NNSDO Convention.
- *Hosted a focus group breakfast session at the 2002 NNSDO Convention to provide feedback on the issues and concerns of geriatric-related focus within the healthcare professions.
- Scheduled workshops and concurrent sessions on aging competencies at the 2004 NNSDO Convention. Topics include:
- GRNs, Core Curriculums, and the SPPICEES Project:
- Education to Improve the Care of the Geriatric Patient
- Preparing Staff for Aging Patients
- Developing Nurses' Competency in Minding Their Elders
- Scheduled additional workshops and concurrent sessions on aging competencies at the 2005 NNSDO Convention.
- Hosting a session at the 2006 NNSDO Convention, July 27-30, in Orlando, "Magic Moments: Unlocking Staff Development Secrets." Topics include:
- NICHE (Nurses Improving Care to Health System Elders) geriatric nursing models of care
- Hospital Competencies
- Continuing Education Resources and Opportunities with Nurse Competence in Aging and the American Journal of Nursing
Special Interest Groups
- Determined member interest in forming a geriatric special interest group (SIG) at the 2003 NNSDO Convention. Published a call for SIG membership in the NNSDO newsletter TrendLines. Communicated primarily through email and held geriatric SIG meetings at the annual NNSDO Convention.
- Create a modified email list or list-serve to strengthen communication among geriatric SIG members.
Note:*indicates activities that occurred prior to NCA grant funding